Why don't you use Google Maps?
- We used to use Google Maps For places, but unfortunately they raised their prices by a huge amount in 2019, which made it far too expensive to keep using. In our case, we would have to pay more than US$100,000 annually to keep using it. (Over PhP 5 million!)
- Don’t worry though, we’re working to improve our current search. We’ve recently launched new place submission features, for example, to help with this issue.
Why are there no directions to/in [place outside Metro Manila]? :(
- We currently have no comprehensive data in other areas yet. But don’t worry, we’re working on it! <3 We will slowly open up more areas as we get new (good) data.
Why no trikes?
- Trikes are on beta. Coverage is not yet complete, but please do turn on the beta in your settings and let us know what you think.
- Trikes are a bit tricky because the fare rules vary per area, and they’re registered in a local level. We’re slowly compiling data on this, and the beta has most of the tricycle areas in southern Metro Manila mapped.
Why does the app make me get on/off a vehicle a little bit away from where I am/where I want to be?
- Making an entire road pick up or drop off-able messes up routes and times, so we set pick up and drop off points along roads about 100m apart from each other. This is why sometimes it will tell you to get off/on a jeep a little bit away from where exactly you want.
- We also prioritised stops in sheds and other pedestrian dense areas, so that new commuters feel more secure.
- Also - we tried to remove all stops that actually outright have “no loading/unloading” signs or fences blocking the sidewalk from the street to promote safe and legal commutes.
Why are no routes showing up?
- Right now, we only have routes inside Metro Manila. If either your from or to are outside Metro Manila, we won’t have any data to show.
- If both locations are within MM though, and still nothing is showing up, please check the departure time of your search. There are less routes available late at night and early morning.
- If still nothing shows, please feel free to leave us feedback via the app or via email at email@example.com.
Why can’t I find the place I’m looking for?
- Sorry about that! Sometimes our search results don’t have certain location names-- we’re working on it. In the meantime, try searching by street address. That should work!
- If you'd like to have our map include a specific landmark or place, you can submit it via https://sakay.ph/submit-place/
Does this work offline?
We don’t have a full offline mode. But if you’re using the app, it will save the most recent search you made. You can use this to pre-load your search, and view the instructions offline.
How do I go to [insert place]?
Please go to https://sakay.ph and type in your route search!
Do you accept drivers?
Sorry, we don’t. We only show commute routes, we do not provide vehicles or rides.
Where is your store?
We don’t have one, sorry. We don’t sell anything-- but let us know if you’re interested in a t-shirt, maybe we can make one.
How can I submit alternate routes?
You can submit feedback through the app, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you make money?
- Right now, we don’t.
- We display ads - useful ones, that actually help you find your way around. We’ve recently launched pilots with a few brands, and once we work out the kinks, we will be earning a steady amount through that. You can read more at https://sakay.ph/ads/
- We’re also working on selling data to governments and big institutions - with this data they’ll be able to optimise routes, public transportation, etc.
- Don't panic: we do collect information about your usage of the app, but this is done anonymously, in aggregate. (e.g. "3000 people pass by this area on Thursday evenings, on average.") We don't need to know who you are, and you are welcome to use our service without an account.
I have an app/website and I would love to integrate with you!
- We would love to work with you too! <3
- If you'd like to share/get directions using our app, you are welcome to use the URL schema (for Web and Native deeplinks) as found on this article:
- If you wanna do something else that's fancy, please reach out to us via email:
contact at sakay dot ph.
Why don't you use bus/jeepney signboards? / You're using the wrong destination terms!
- Signboards were created as an informal practice to show route variations. Which means that there is no central regulatory board, making collecting data unwieldy.
- We also only use the route names as buses and jeepneys should in theory be following their prescribed routes, instead of varying by the day or time.
- We understand that sometimes you can have three different route options for a single destination - which is why now you can view all the other routes you can take to get to it. To do this, check that leg of your route, and tap the card with the route name. A dropdown will appear with your alternative options.
My jeepney/tricycle charged me a different amount! Your fares are wrong.
Sorry about that! While we do our best to keep as accurate as possible, jeepney / tricycle fares can sometimes be inconsistent. Please let us know the specifics of the error the feedback features on the app or via email at email@example.com.
Origin and destination are both within coverage area, but I keep getting the "other" error in iOS
- Go to Settings > General > Language & Region
- Set it to "Philippines"
My jeepney didn't go to <location> and turned around before getting there.
- Unfortunately, route cutting is a (not actually legal) reality that is out of our control.
- In this case, please search for a route starting from where you ended up getting dropped off.
- If you can, please leave us a report of what route it was and where you got dropped off.